- Tell us your story on how you got into technology.
After my husband’s unplanned medical retirement from the military, I embarked on a career journey looking for remote jobs which gave me the flexibility to be home supporting the family and pursuing a career path. He had suggested a SaaS company to gain an introduction to IT since that was his field.
My first job as a Business Development Representative was in 2017 with a SaaS organization. With that, I worked hard and got my first IT certification in Cyber Security (Security+). I then continued to pursue additional certifications and got certified in AWS Solution Architect and as a Scrum Master.
- Did you always know that working in technology was what you wanted to do?
No, but when plans changed with my husband’s early retirement, I had to adapt.
- How long have you been with Dataprise?
A little over 6 months.
- Can you share a little bit about what it is that you do and what a typical day for you is like?
My role as a Business Development Representative is responsible for the generation of new business opportunities by qualifying leads and prospecting through existing business accounts to engage with potential buyers. It usually involves me researching the leads in my pipeline and reaching out to prospect to educate them on our Services.
- What advice would you give to women considering a career in the tech industry? What do you wish you had known?
I wish I had gotten into this field a lot sooner than I did. It’s a field that provides a lot of potential for career growth.
- Why do you think it’s important for more women to join the tech industry? How can the broader community support women in tech?
The field tends to be male-dominated and will benefit greatly from having more of a female touch.
This requires a lot more promotion and advertisement of tech opportunities for females and demonstrating the success of current females in IT roles.
- What do you think is the best part of being a woman in the tech industry?
Personally, its enabled me to be abreast of technology. It has helped me to balance my role as a mother, wife, and a career woman. I can financially support and physically be present for my family whilst pursuing my career interests.
- What is it that you enjoy most about your current job at Dataprise?
The work culture.
- What is the best professional advice you've ever received?
When you are not sure of something, always ask. It’s better to be well-informed in the decision-making process than to guess.
- Where do you see yourself going from here?
I have my sights set on being a Business Development Manager and I believe I’m in a great space to achieve that soon.